It's a bold claim. But the thousands of locals and visitors who ride the Whakarewarewa trail network every year will all tell you they are a fantastic place to mountain bike.
In a country with some great mountain biking, this 130 kilometre trail network on the southern outskirts of the city are some of the finest.
And research confirms the significant role they play in the lifestyle and economy of Rotorua. The trails have evolved over the years with a lot of people involved in building, maintaining and developing.
Our tracks provide a rich playground for locals and tourists (from New Zealand and overseas) all compressed into around 50 hectares of lush, ferny forest and catering for everyone - from beginners and family groups right through to the experts.
• In August 2006, Rotorua hosted the UCI Mountain Bike & Trials Championships.
These were held on Mount Ngongotaha, one of the city's main landmarks on the northern edge of town.
Visitors rode the trails in Whakarewarewa Forest visitors and they were a perfect training ground for competitors in the Worlds.
• In 2015, Rotorua hosted the Crankworx Mountain Bike Festival, and the opening round of the Enduro World Series (EWS).
• Rounds of the New Zealand National Championships, XTERRA, the NDURO Winter MTB Series (consisting of 3 big one-lappers), The Tour de Whaka, the 24 Hours of Rotorua and The Highlander all feature on the Whakarewarewa calendar, among other annual events.
• The Whaka 100 (in October) is the NDURO Classic and is one of the toughest challenges on the New Zealand MTB calendar - 100km and some big climbs with a great mix of terrain, singletrack and forest roads.
• In 2008 and 2009 the Pig & Whistle New Zealand Singlespeed Championships were run in the forest on Anzac Weekend in April. They returned on Anzac Weekend 2013.
• In 2010 this full range of events in the Whakarewarewa Forest was joined by the Singlespeed World Championships October 22-24, with large numbers of overseas visitors in town.
• In February 2013, all of Rotorua's cycling community came together for the 1st Rotorua Bike Festival. 10 days of events for almost everyone, from the serious racer to the recreational cyclist, all under pure blue skies of Summer. The festival is back every February and contintues to be bigger and better...Check out the website for the full programme, and there are daily updates on Facebook.
All the mountain bike events feature the full range of the Whakarewarewa Forest - through Pine, Californian Redwoods, Australian Eucalyptus and native New Zealand ferns and more - bringing riders and support crews into town and continuing to benefit the local economy.
Over the last 100 years visionaries in the New Zealand Forest Service planted experimental stands of trees from around the world to create the Whakarewarewa Forest. And it’s this variety that gives the mountain biking trails their distinctive flavour.
Paypal and credit cards are processed almost immediately, while bank transfers can take 24-48 hours.
Please note these are only expected deliveries times and occasionally delays may occur.
COMBINED POSTAGE FOR THE PURCHASE OF SEVERAL ITEMS
COMBINED SHIPPING CHARGES FOR BULKY ITEMS
You can add smaller items together with bulky items and there will generally be no or a small added postage cost. Ordering items such as 2 bike cases may not result in any savings due to their volume. Ordering mid-size items like two fluid trainers together will result in very good savings though. You will get your quote for shipping costs before you checkout.
If you have any queries please email us at email@example.com!
We now ship to New Zealand. For further details please visit our International page here.